What is Java
- Java is General Purpose Programming Language
- It is a concurrent programming language
- It is Object-Oriented Programming Language
- The world’s most popular modern development platform
- Java Was developed by Sun Microsystems which was acquired By Oracle so nowadays we call it Oracle Java.
- James Gosling is known as the father of Java. Before Java, its name was Oak. Since Oak was already a registered company, so James Gosling and his team changed the Oak name to Java.
- Over a 51 Billion machines are using Java Virtual Machines worldwide.
What is Java Technology
Java technology contains both a programming language and a platform.
So when we talk about a platform, that means it should contain a hardware or software environment in which a program runs. Since Java has a runtime environment (JRE) and API, it is called a platform.
Java platforms and editions
1. Java Platform, Standard Edition (Java SE)
Java SE lets you develop and deploy Java applications on desktops and as well servers.
Java SE and component technologies offer the rich user interface, performance, versatility, portability, and security, portability that today’s applications require.
2. Java Platform, Micro Edition Embedded (Java ME Embedded)
Java ME Embedded is designed for wireless modules for M2M, industrial control, environmental sensors, smart-grid infrastructure, and tracking, and many more.
3. Java Card Platform, Classic Edition
Java Card technology is designed to provide a secure environment for applications that run on smart cards and other devices. Those devices have very limited memory and processing capabilities.
4. Java Platform, Enterprise Edition (Java EE)
Java EE provides an API and runtime environment which will be used to develop and run large, multi-tiered, reliable, and secure enterprise applications.